Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fit Food Tip #3



A common complaint when people are trying to lose weight is “I’m always hungry!!!” There are a few things to look at here:

EATING STYLE

Big breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner (with snacks in between): You eat the most calories in the beginning of your day when you have hours of activity ahead of you to burn off those calories, then wane your caloric intake throughout the day. Also, that big breakfast helps ward off those “I’m starving!!!” eating binges later in the day.

6 evenly sized meals throughout the day: Your day is spent grazing.  Small, well planned meals keep you from being hungry.  If you schedule these meals every couple of hours or when you feel hunger coming on, then you won’t end up deprived with that “I’m starving!!!” feeling.

Now which one is better?  That’s a toss up…it really depends on each individual and how their body responds.  Maybe give each one a try and see how they work for you!

SNACKS

The key to snacks (and really all food intake) is to make sure they are nutrient-packed and well-balanced.  Here are a few ideas:

Nuts & Seeds – almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds…**heavily flavored versions aren’t necessarily “healthy” – watch for high amounts of salt and sugar.  The BEST is raw – usually found in the health food or produce section of the store – not the snack aisle.  At first, they seem lacking in flavor, but an appreciation for their individual natural flavors comes with time.  (I think our tongues have been conditioned to 3 flavors…salt, sugar, and fat….but that’s a whole different soap-box!)

Nut Butters – the natural versions of almond, peanut or sunflower (I know…not a nut) – found next to the “regular PB.”  These have a natural fat, but in moderation, are packed with nutrients – especially protein – excellent pre- or post-workout snack

Yogurt – again, look for low-fat and low-sugar varieties (but not including aspartame).  “Plain” is the best, but has a strong flavor that takes getting used to.  **hint: plain mixed with granola or honey is EXCELLENT!)

Boiled eggs – protein packed!

Popcorn – plain, not loaded with butter and salt – but good for when you just have the munchies!

Combinations –
DIY trial mix : different mixes of dried fruit and nuts keeps you from being bored with the same stuff every day!

Nut butters – great with carrots, veggies, apples, whole grain crackers

Yogurt – as mentioned before, awesome with some granola or fruit mixed in!

When you start combining, the possibilities are endless! 

Melissa

***By the way, I heard I've been outed!  I haven't been signing my e-mails since my husband is the one who actually sends them out.  I thought maybe it'd be weird since I don't actually "belong" to TES in any formal way...Matt just asked for help in the food department of the Biggest Loser since he pretty much just eats whatever I stick in the pantry or on the table and I said, "Hey, I'll just write it! It'd be fun!" And now I've heard he’s been signing them for me (thanks, Dear).  I'm just a mom and a wife who is also the "Google Queen."  J  I got really interested in healthy eating when the kids started eating table foods and also in my own journey to fitness.  I’ve made a lot of changes, but consistency is my main struggle.  I've kind of joined all of you in this Biggest Loser that’s going on – not so much in the competitive way, but just to refocus my efforts.  So if it’s any encouragement to you, I’m fighting this battle right along with you guys!  There’s a big difference in knowing what to do and actually doing it…let’s DO it together!

And as though this e-mail isn’t crazy long enough already…ha!...here are a few of my favorite internet resources:
 
http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/ - I’m a blog junkie – but even if you’re not, this girl still is extremely inspiring and has a very no-nonsense way of healthy living.  Even if you don’t decide to “follow” her blog, still look around at her recipe page and maybe her “about me” story.
 
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ - Don’t let the word “vegan” turn you off.  I’m not vegan, but this woman’s recipes are AMAZING.  They might look intimidating at first, but most of her ingredients are easily found at your local grocery store and once you stock up on just a couple of new pantry staples, you’ll use them over and over again in multiple recipes from this page.  Also, you can always just substitute your “regular” skim milk or low-fat cheese for her vegan varieties and still have an extremely nutritious meal.
 
http://www.food.com/ - my go-to resource for recipes – check out the orange “recipe sifter” button on the right side under the search bar – easily search for low-cal, healthy, vegetarian, etc….tons of options here

2 comments: